- Dear Kamala Harris
- Will Trump's Wall Perform Magic Tricks?
- Trump Releases a Paper with His Ukrainian Crimes
- The President or Polar Bears?
- Trump Has a Small Stroke on Live TV
- One Small Reason the President’s Border Wall and Muslim Ban Are Wrong
- The Donald Has Never Learned How to Deal with No
- Dinosaur Love
- To The Vegetable Aisle
- When The Skyline Crumbles
- Elegy for Allen
- Letter to Allen on the State of the State, May 2013
- What We Don't See
- To The Northern Winds
- The Weather Seems Different
- The Logic of War
- Portraits / M.
- These Beautiful Territories
- In Praise of the Seattle Coalition
- At the End of the Century
- What No God Knows
- Even a Poet Laureate Doesn’t Deserve to Get Beaten by the Police
- Gregory's Last Lines
- Can We Have Some Peace and Quiet Please?
- For Mark Bradley, Songwriter & Chef
See All Poems ...
- Tribute to David McReynolds
- NY Times Letter to the Editor criticizing Trump's proposed budget
- Unlocking the Language Room of War
- Nutritious for a Thousand Years: Allen Ginsberg's "Holy Soul Jelly Roll"
- The View from the Big Woods
- 'News Dissector, Democracy Projector': A Poet’s Tribute to Danny Schechter
- Recalling Allen
- Reaching Out to Adrienne Rich via a Letter to Rosa Luxemburg
- Abbie Hoffman: American Dissident and Political Organizer Extraordinaire
- Who Knew One Could Even Try Such a Thing?
- Andy Clausen and the Poetry of Reconstruction
- Liner Notes for Tom Pacheco’s CD, “13 Stones”
- Preface to "The Poetry and Politics of Allen Ginsberg"
- Eight Techniques for Creating Memorable Poems: An Excerpt from The Poetry and Politics of Allen Ginsberg
- To Declare Pre-Emptive War Is to Declare Bankruptcy of the Imagination
- Rain Taxi review of "The Poetry and Politics of Allen Ginsberg"
- Kurt Hemmer on "The Poetry and Politics of Allen Ginsberg"
- Bill Morgan on "The Poetry and Politics of Allen Ginsberg"
- Jim Cohn's "Big Bridge" review of "The Poetry and Politics of Allen Ginsberg"
- Adrien Begrand's review of “Unlocking the Exits”
- Review of “Unlocking the Exits” by Jim Cohn
- Alicia Ostriker on "Unlocking the Exits"
- Allen Ginsberg: Praise for “Unlocking the Exits”
- Adrienne Rich on "Unlocking the Exits"
- Howard Zinn on "Love, War, Fire, Wind"
- Alicia Ostriker on "Love, War, Fire, Wind"
- William Heyen on "Love, War, Fire, Wind"
- Amiri Baraka's Introduction to Space and Other Poems
- Allen Ginsberg's Introduction to Space and Other Poems
In his long poem, “Liberation Recalled,” composed from 1994-97, Eliot Katz presents testimony from his mother about her WWII concentration camp experiences, interspersed with his own stylistically varied verses on a wide range of contemporary social themes. Employing elements of modernist experimentation, Katz inventively explores questions of historical and intergenerational legacy, psychic reconstruction, political-literary theory, and the challenge of building a more humane future. The poem, written in 39 sections, is posted here in its entirety in a pdf format.
“Liberation Recalled” was originally published in the poetry collection “Unlocking the Exits”
(Coffee House Press, 1999).
For information about reprinting “Liberation Recalled,” in whole or in excerpts, or to inquire about readings, please contact the author at ekatz57 [at] earthlink.net